Monday, March 17, 2008

Taking care of business

I spent the second half of last week laid up on the couch. My house has suffered because of this. About a year ago, I decided that I needed a new system in taking care of our house. Since caring for our home is a big part of my job as a homemaker I decided I needed to take it more seriously and be a better steward of what the Lord has blessed us with. Now I certainly didn't have a filthy house prior to this, but I would clean everything one day a week like a crazy person and be exhausted after the fact. Or I would stress if someone were coming over because I hadn't cleaned in several days. Something different needed to happen.

After being inspired by some ideas I found online I decided to adopt a clean something everyday approach. My schedule roughly looks like this:

Monday- Quick dust and vacuum downstairs, sweep kitchen, laundry

Tuesday- Downstairs bathroom

Wednesday-Deep clean kitchen, sweep and mop kitchen

Thursday- Upstairs bathroom, dust and vacuum downstairs

Friday-Dust and vacuum bedrooms, linen laundry, sweep kitchen

*bathroom sinks get wiped down as necessary throughout the week and I have become vigilant in picking up clutter at the end of every day

I can't tell you what a difference this has made for me. I honestly feel like I always have a clean house and that I am caring for it more effectively. I spend 15-40 minutes each day depending on the areas that need cleaned. This is a much more realistic time frame for me with a toddler under foot wanting to help. It also leaves the weekend free to work on other projects around the house with Cale (or do nothing at all!).

I've had this post in my head since Friday as I watched stuff piling up and knowing how behind I was going to be come Monday. I smiled when I read Pleasant View School House's post yesterday about this very same thing. Since I wouldn't mind being like her when I grow up, it made me feel like at least in this one small area, I'm on the right track. Now I just need to get to work on that law degree!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I've been thinking of making a schedule for myself for cleaning, too. I am admittantly REALLY bad about keeping up on things when I need to.....