Monday, June 8, 2009

What's for dinner?

I love to try new recipes. In fact, we probably eat 2 or 3 new things every week. Because of that we rarely eat the same thing twice in the same month, but this recipe is an exception. I made this a few weeks ago after watching Rachael Ray make it on her show. I had planned another pasta dish for dinner that night but after seeing her make this I knew I needed to amend my meal plan. We just happened to have all the ingredients on hand and we enjoyed a delicious dinner. It's so good and easy that we're enjoying it again just a few weeks later!



Veggie Florentine Pasta

Ingredients:
1 carrot, cooked (I did it in the microwave)
1/4 cup white wine (or use chicken stock)
1/2 lb whole wheat rotini
1 small onion, chopped
1 garlic cloves, grated
1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 15 oz can diced tomatoes, crushed up (I used my mini food processor)
A few leaves basil, torn (could use dried)
Salt and ground pepper
1 bunch spinach, chopped
1/4 cup heavy cream
Nutmeg, to taste
Parmesan cheese



Directions:

Cook pasta according to package directions. While pasta cooks, heat a large skillet over medium heat and then add 1 Tbs olive oil. Saute onions and garlic until the onions are translucent. Grate cooked carrot into skillet and then add the wine or stock. Add crushed tomatoes, a few leaves of basil and season with salt and pepper. Gradually wilt the spinach into the veggie mixture, a handful or two at a time. Then drizzle in the cream. Season with freshly grated nutmeg if you have it. Let the veggie sauce thicken over medium heat for a few minutes. Add the cooked pasta to the sauce and toss to coat. Serve with Parmesan cheese on top.



Adapted from this recipe

No comments: