Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Another lesson from Much-Afraid

I read this yesterday morning and it hit me hard. It filled me with hope, but also with dismay.

"...she thought of some words which one of the Shepherd's servants had spoken down in the Valley of Humiliation before the Shepherd had called her to the High Places. He had said, 'Love is beautiful, but it is also terrible- terrible in its determination to allow nothing blemished or unworthy to remain in the beloved.

When she remembered this, Much-Afraid thought wit with a little shiver in her heart, 'He will never be content until he makes me what he is determined that I ought to be..."

from Hinds Feet on High Places by Hannah Hurnard

The process of removing all that is unblemished and unworthy in me is a painful, exhausting, laborious process. But, I am His beloved and He will not give up on me.

I long to be who He has "determined I ought to be", but oh the pain in getting there. But the grace that covers me and the love that guides me to the darkest times will not fail.

That terrible love will see me through.

No comments: