Thursday, June 26, 2008

Checkpoint

Today my nephew, E, turns six years old. Since he was only a few months old at our wedding, his birthday always makes me reflect about the growth of our marriage. Looking at E and seeing how much he's grown and changed in the previous year; what he's learned, what's important to him and how he likes to spend his time. In my mind, there is a perfect parallel to mine and Cale's marriage.

-Have we grown (together and individually) in the last year?
-How have we changed and is it for the good or not so good?
-Are we helping each other "to grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ" (2 Peter 3:18)?
-What have we learned and how are we putting it into practice?
-What's important to us these days? Has it changed from last year? If it's changed, why?
-How are we spending our time- as a family, as a couple, individual pursuits? Are they worthy things or just busyness?

Cale and I try to talk through questions like these around our anniversary, but I'm thankful for E's birthday to remind me to stop and do some evaluating of my most important earthly relationship.

Happy Birthday to our sweet, E! Thanks for reminding us of important things today!

No comments: