Friday, April 8, 2011

Things to love about spring

Yesterday was a beautiful spring day and we savored every last drop of sunshine.  Today it's overcast, but I am finding enjoyment in a rainy day that promises to bring me buds on the trees and green grass. All this springness has got me thinking about all the things I love about spring.  It's not my favorite season, but it's a close second.  Here's my Top 10 things I love about spring:

1. The smell of fresh cut grass...I was out running errands yesterday and encountered this not once, not twice, but three times.  And I loved it.

2. Becoming reacquainted with the cuteness that is my children's elbows and knees.  After a long winter of keeping them covered, it's always delightful to see their adorableness again.

3. Letting the kids got out to play and hearing their happy sounds through open windows.  From now til October we'll be on daily yard toy pick-up duty every night, but it is so worth it.

4.The idea of spring cleaning...not so much the execution, but I do get excited about a long list of tasks to accomplish.  I'm lucky if I get a quarter of them done, but the thought of a fresh clean house is a powerful pull.

5. Sleeping with the windows open, especially on a breezy night.

6. We have 6 or so weeks left to wait, but strawberry picking has become one of our favorite activities to do as a family in the spring.  We've only got one jar of jam left from berries we picked last summer so I guess we better ration it til I can make more next month!

7. Bike rides, walks and general outdoorsiness... we love to get outside and enjoy the world around us and also take advantage of the proximity of the bike trail to our house (it's in our back yard!).

8. After a long winter and only occasional sightings, it's so nice to see our next door neighbors on a regular basis.  My kids adore them and would stalk their every move if we allowed it, but we generally discourage that kind of behavior!

9. The knowledge of a slew of warm days and nights ahead of us.

10. Backyard hangouts can begin again, complete with grilling, the fire pit and relaxing conversation while the kids play.  We're hosting our first one this weekend.

I hope spring is here to stay.

1 comment:

Amber said...

so many things to love about spring!!! :)