Tuesday, April 24, 2007

SRT Update

I haven't had as much time to read in the last few weeks as I would have liked, but I still have managed to cross a few more books off my Spring Reading Thing List. I finally managed to finish Mockingbird and really enjoyed it. I felt like I read that book forever and could never finish it, but it was interesting. It got a bit long in some sections (like when Nelle was helping Capote with In Cold Blood research), but it was nothing if not thorough. If you love To Kill a Mockingbird then I think you would enjoy this. Or if you are just a fan of a good biography, this book would work for you.


I started to read Water for Elephants. Started as in about 80 pages and then had to walk away. I don't know what it was, but I just couldn't get through it. It's very rare that I stop reading a book, but I had no desire to keep going. So that has been crossed off the list.


I have about two chapters to go in A Mother's Heart and have really been challenged, encouraged and inspired by this book. I feel like that sounds a bit cliche, but it's really true. I am walking away from this book with a renewed vision for my home, a deeper sense of responsibility for the task at hand, and practical ideas to help me be a more intentional, focused mom. With Haven being as young as she is, some of the ideas will have to wait, but I am confident that this is a book I will come back to time and again as we strive to make the Lord the head of this home. If you are a mom- READ THIS BOOK! And thanks to Jenny for the recommendation!


Yesterday I had a few minutes to start The Other Boleyn Girl and I hope to have more time later this week to really get into it. It comes with great recommendations so hopefully it hasn't been too inflated in my mind and can live up to all the praise!

Haven's been busy reading, too! She seems to have her mother's love for books!

2 comments:

Jess said...

i must warn you...i also recommended it to femi and she started it and hated it...don't know why...starts out slow but it really is worth it. another bad critique is from my mom...she started it and said it had to much "sexy talk" :) ...it really doesn't. i think it's just a realistic historical novel which includes a bit of sleeping with the king.

Anonymous said...

I just ordered The other boleyn girl. I am excited to read it and hear your thoughts.