Monday, April 9, 2007

Welcome home

Nothing says welcome home quite like a refrigerator full of rotten, spoiled food. That's what we had waiting for us when we returned home last night at 8:30pm. I opened the fridge to an atrocious smell and thought that it was the herbs that I had accidentally left in there that were now growing some sort of science experiment in the container. I went through the entire fridge (which wasn't much seeing as how we had been gone) and discovered moldy cheese and some other spoiled things. I thought that was weird, but was trying to do a million things at once to get unpacked so I didn't really think about it. I threw everything that looked suspicious out and tried my best to get rid of that smell.

Two hours later I went to get some ice out of the freezer and discovered where the real trouble was lurking. Apparently at some point in the last few days, something made our refrigerator freak out and defrost. It still had power and everything but wasn't set at any temperature so it was at room temperature. Nasty, gross, disgusting, horrible and revolting about cover it. I am a thrifty shopper, as I have mentioned before, so my freezer is relatively well stocked as is my fridge. There is nothing like melted ice cream, leaking spinach and rotten bananas (frozen to make bread at a later date) to make your stomach turn over.

But my hero came to the rescue and cleaned out the worst parts of it. I was sick to my stomach at all the money we threw away as we loaded the contents of the fridge and freezer into trash bags. That was disgusting! But I now have a super clean, odor free fridge that sits barren despite my best efforts at the grocery today.

I am pleased to report that four loads of laundry have been washed, dried and put away, everything has been unpacked and put in it's rightful place, mail has been sorted, bills have been paid, toys have been cleaned off and put away, groceries were purchased, dinner has been cooked by my own two hands, and I even managed to go get my teeth cleaned at the dentist this afternoon. And now I am exhausted.

Nashville stories to come.

1 comment:

Jess said...

I wish i was there to welcome you home! But welcome back nonetheless!