Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Brace yourself

We have had a week that has been full of news. Good and bad and some a mixed bag of both. It's been hard to take it all in. My very oldest friend in the world, Kristen, who came to visit us a few weeks ago, is pregnant. And as it turns out, VERY pregnant. She is having not one, not two, but three babies (and no, she didn't take any fertility drugs).

THREE.

3!!!

three.
all. at. once.


Shock, amazement and disbelief! And that's just how I feel at the news. Who has triplets?!! No one I have ever known. It is a major understatement to say they are flipping out. In a good way, but also in a scared, freaked out, can't-believe-this-is-happening way.

The beauty of life is bursting at us with this news. But then we have the other side. Cancer. Surgeries. Hospice. Death. And I am not sure how we are supposed to reconcile all of this at once. How do we take in the enormity of three babies and the joy and the excitement and the wonder? But also fully acknowledge the pain and suffering and loss?

It now seems even more appropriate that I have been learning about trust this week. I have been reminded that God is completely trustworthy. Especially when I don't understand how He's working it all out. I know that He is. I have seen Him do it before and He will do it again. He knows what's ahead and what's behind and He's got it figured out. This all makes sense to Him and I will rest in that truth until I can start to see it all a bit more clearly. Whenever that is.

No comments: