Sunday, August 26, 2007

Down, but not out

"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." Galatians 6:9

I've been feeling a bit weary this week. Wondering if what I'm doing really is good. But the Lord encouraged me this morning in a random way that reminded me of a few things that I really needed to hear.
-When I feel like not doing something or giving up, it is exactly at that moment that I need to do it. I can not let how I feel determine my actions in doing something that God has called me to do.
-When I am feeling discouraged it is so easy to become inward focused and have a big old pity party for myself. But that is so counter productive! I need to look to the big picture, to realize what God is doing all over the place, not just in my little piece of the wall (see Nehemiah 4).
-God's Word is my encouragement and if I'm not looking to His promises for me then I can blame no one but myself.
-Look around and find someone else's burdens to carry and it will put my own concerns in proper perspective.

Ultimately, I need to be calling out to the Lord. He is my strength. A wise friend said the other day that prayer is the language of dependence. Not praying is a sign of our independence and self-sufficiency. It's a dangerous place to be and somewhere I go to visit far too often. I don't want to be independent. When I am walking in my own strength I wind up discouraged because I get tired, frustrated and afraid. Thankfully, it's my choice to walk out of that mess and be led by His Spirit.

So I'm pressing on with the good the Lord has given me to do; with a better attitude, a refreshed spirit and His strength!

No comments: