Thursday, August 23, 2007

Share and share alike

I have been on a major cooking/baking spree of late. I am not sure where it came from exactly, but I know that Cale sure hasn't minded. I have also been wanting to try every new recipe I come across. In the last week or so we have had so many new, good foods for dinner. Cale is not a huge eggplant fan like I am but he even really liked Pasta Melanzana. We decided to put to good use all of the great vegetables I got at a farmer's market and made this Creamy Vegetable Chowder (or you can call it Rachael Ray's silly name for it Choup! And be warned, it was good but it made a ton. We shared with the neighbors and still ate it for a few days!) We enjoyed Creamy Stuffed French Toast (sans the hearts) for breakfast one morning. These were a big hit with the under 2 crowd.

Cale seems to be going through cookie withdrawal around here (I called him yesterday at work and caught him in the act of buying Oreos from a vending machine!) so I decided to help him out a little bit. I found a great recipe for so-called Healthy Oatmeal Cookies. It only makes 18 cookies which is probably why they are considered "healthy" because you can't eat 6 of them at a time without feeling like a total pig because you just ate a third of the cookies. But really, they are delicious and don't taste healthy at all. Best of all is that the recipe has ingredients that I keep in my pantry so they will be easy to put together anytime. So in the spirit of sharing, here you go:

Whisk the following together in a small bowl:
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup while flour
1 tsp baking soda

In separate large bowl, whisk together
1 egg
2/3 cup dark brown sugar
1/3 cup vegetable oil (I used canola)
1 tsp vanilla

Add flour to mixture and stir to combine. Mix in 1/2 cup old fashioned oats and 1/2 dried currants or raisins (I used golden raisins).

Using 2 Tbs of dough per cookie, roll and form into ball. Place on a parchment lined cookie sheet 1.5 inches apart. Bake for 15-17 minutes at 350 degrees. Let cook on cookie sheet for a few minutes before placing on a wire rack to completely cool. Yields 18 cookies. Yum!

-from Everyday Foods September 2007

No comments: