Saturday, August 23, 2008

Saturday round-up

It's been a long week. I'm glad it's Saturday. I'm thankful Cale is feeling a bit better. I'm sad Haven woke up with a fever. I'm hopeful about all I want to accomplish this weekend. But right now, all I hope to accomplish is a list of some of my favorite things I have stumbled across this week.

-Haven is going to start preschool in a few weeks. For some reason, I'm a little crazy about it being her first first day of school. So I decided that she needed a dress to wear on this momentous day. But early September is tricky weather-wise. I wanted something fall-ish, but would still work if it's 90 degrees out. I love what we found! Even better is that it was cheaper in store then online AND I had a coupon. It's cute for now, but maybe even cuter with some jeans throughout the rest of the year.

-We went to a story time at Barnes and Noble last weekend. And I'm the sucker that used our time there to browse and subsequently, buy books. But I promise that I called Cale to check that they weren't cheaper online anywhere before I bought them! Richard Scarry's Great Big Schoolhouse is a classic in my mind that we will read and love for years to come. I also got Richard Scarry's Please and Thank You which I am also loving. I have fond memories of laying on the floor pouring over What Do People Do All Day? as a child and I hope to create the same memories with our kids.

-I've found some great new blogs this week that have been inspiring to me in my role as keeper of our home. Simple Mom is going to finally set me over the edge and motivate me to create a home management journal. I have thought about this idea off and on for the last year and am ready to take the plunge. I think that as long as I can make it work for me and me not work for it, we will be in good shape. Simple Mom is just full of great ideas for all aspects of life as a home keeper.

-Other great homekeeping blogs I've found this week: The Shabby Nest, Nesting Place and Chatting at the Sky are just a few. I haven't had untold hours to sit and peruse their archives, but what I have read and seen have been wonderful.

-We had some friends over last night who are moving away in a few weeks. Instead of dinner we met later in the evening for some heavy snacking. Thank you to Allrecipes.com for the following great recipes: Chicken Garlic Pizza, Double Tomato Bruschetta and Malidzano Eggplant Spread. We have had the pizza many a time and it's always delicious. The bruschetta is one of my favorite ways to use fresh from the garden tomatoes. The eggplant spread was a newbie and we were not disappointed! Our guests loved it and we did, too. Of course, I tweaked it a bit because that's just what I do, but it was wonderful. (The recipe calls for three eggplants, but I think that is way too much. I uesd one large one and adjusted the rest of the ingredients accordingly.) It was great with pita chips. Cale, who is not even an eggplant love like myself, really enjoyed it (on bread because he can't even anything crispy for a few more weeks!).

I hope Monday finds me back in the swing of things with a more organized house, a healthier family and a thankful heart for a new week!

No comments: