Thursday, March 20, 2008

A few days

I have been flying solo for the last few days. Well, as solo as any one can be while still caring for a 2 year old. Cale has been out of town on business and I have been trying to make the most of some extra *free* time. I think I've been quite successful and am feeling a bit like the queen of domesticity. A few of my accomplishments (and I assure you this is riveting information):

-reorganized the dreaded tupperware cupboard
-sewed some gifts: 2 baby blankets and a bib
-started to sew a pair of capri pants for Haven that I cut out 6 months ago (better late then never, right? although they seem huge and probably won't fit til next year anyways!)
-did all my regular cleaning, plus paid extra attention to a few areas in the kitchen
-baked cookies (recipe to follow- they were GOOD!)
-sorted and put away clothes Haven's outgrown and got out some more springy things

It's been nice to knock a few things off my never-gets-any-smaller-to-do list, but I want my husband back. Thankfully, he will be here soon!

I came across this recipe yesterday and they sounded good so Haven and I whipped them up after dinner. Really easy, fast and doesn't make a ton (which is a good thing!)

Snickerdoodles
1 c shortening, margarine or butter (or a combo of these)
1 3/4 c sugar
2 eggs
2 3/4 c all-purpose flour
2 t cream of tartar
1 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
4 t cinnamon

In a large mixing bowl, cream together the shortening and 1 1/2 c sugar (reserve the remaining 1/4 c of sugar for later). Beat in eggs. In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt. Gradually add to the creamed mixture. You can chill the dough overnight as the original instructions instruct, but who has time for that?

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine remaining 1/4 c sugar and the cinnamon in a flat bowl. Shape dough into balls the size of a walnut and roll in cinnamon sugar. Place 2 inches apart of an ungreased baking sheet and bake just until barely golden -- about 8 or 9 minutes. The cookies will puff up first, then flatten a bit with crackled tops. Cool on a wire rack. Makes about 3 dozen cookies (at least it did for me!).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oooh those cookies sound yummy. I'll have to give them a try sometime. Thanks for posting the recipe :)