Thursday, February 25, 2010

Conquering Kitchen Fears: Volume I

Guess what this is a picture of? My very first (and definitely not my last) batch of homemade whole wheat pita bread. I have wanted to try making some for a very long time and was always intimidated by it. Well that ended today! Start to finish, including rising and baking, it only took me an hour to turn out a dozen delicious pieces of pita bread. And then they turned into this for dinner...
Pitas topped with fresh spinach, roasted red peppers, havarti with dill and some fresh pepper and sea salt...fantastic!

This recipe was so simple and easy; I can't recommend it enough! My notes are in italics.

Zohar's Pita Bread from Meet Me in the Kitchen
1 packet yeast (or 2 1/2 tsp)
1/4 cup warm water
1 tsp sugar
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup warm water
1/2 tsp salt

1. Mix first 3 ingredients, then add the next 3 ingredients.
2. Knead for 10 minutes, and let rise for 30 minutes. (I did this all in my Kitchenaid making it even easier!)
3. Take a ball of dough just smaller than your palm and roll it very thin (1/4 inch) with a little flour on the surface and a rolling pin as needed.
4. Place 2 rounds on an ungreased cookie sheet and broil about 5 inches from the top element until they puff up and start to turn light brown in spots. This goes very fast (less then a minute for me) so you have to watch closely and do not get distracted. Turn them over and brown on the other side. This will only take half as long as the first side.
5. Repeat with remaining dough.

What are you afraid to try making on your own? What will be next on my list?

2 comments:

Marisa said...

I, too, have been intimidated by making pita bread. I'll have to give your recipe a try! The other thing I would love to make, but have shied away from is homemade bagels. YUM! I just might have to join you in some new adventures

Shannon said...

Post Printed....will try it! =o)