Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day Weekend

It's been a good weekend around our house. I'm not sure if that's just because we're all so happy to be home or if it's because we had a lot of fun things to do the last few days; probably both. A few highlights worth mentioning...

Yesterday morning we went to the World Vision Experience here. If you live in the area I implore you to go see this. Cale and I were both emotional as we experienced different children's lives and saw how they've been affected by AIDS. There really aren't even words to adequately share about it...just go if you can!

Last night we got to celebrate with friends as they were married. We were Hay-less and it was great to just be together, catch up with friends and not be chasing anyone around. It couldn't have been a more beautiful day to get married and it was simply a joyful celebration of what the Lord has done in their lives.

This morning my husband fixed me a delicious breakfast before we headed out the door to church. We were scheduled in the nursery this morning so there was no leisurely morning or breakfast in bed this year. But that's okay. We had a roomful of kids, but it was a good morning. I have been priming Cale all week with a list of things I wanted to do today. When you sum up my list you'll see I'm a pretty boring/simple person. Cale did his darnedest to accomplish all my "dreams" for the day, but the weather conspired against us. We did manage to go out to lunch and I have to confess the I just wanted a burrito from Chipotle. We've eaten out so many meals the last few weeks, that is the only thing that sounded good. My husband was happy to oblige! (And the other thing that sounded good was a slice of cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory which he also produced and I enjoyed in increments throughout the day!)

The other exciting things I wanted to do involved buying ferns and flowers for the front of the house. We managed to get the ferns, but weren't up for flower shopping in the pouring rain. While Haven was napping I laid in bed reading and even dozed off for a few minutes. That was a total luxury to me. Cale helped me get our room cleaned up and switched up some of our bedding for the spring. Being away from home for a few weeks has kicked my domesticity gene into high gear and I'm deriving great joy from getting my house back in shape. I wanted to cook dinner because I've missed cooking the last few weeks and while Cale was hesitant at first, he realizes that I really like to cook so it wasn't a big deal. Haven was an absolute hoot at dinner tonight and had Cale and I laughing our heads off. It melted me when she reached over to hold my hand at dinner and she looked at me and said, "You're the best girl, mommy." I love that sassy little girl more then I ever thought possible!

So while it might not be the Mother's Day of many girl's dreams- cooking, cleaning and a burrito- it was for this girl!

No comments: