Friday, March 30, 2007

Crossing them off left and right

The perks of living in a hotel- lots of time to read! I finished Quaker Summer last night and absolutely loved it. It is a butt-kicking, challenging, thought-provoking book that I would highly recommend. Lisa Samson has an amazing talent to write engaging fiction, but it is so much more than that. She puts to paper the conversations that float around in my suburban mind and has renewed the debate about how I spend my time and what is it all worth anyways. Where does Jesus fit into it? And isn't that ultimately the problem- that I am trying to fit Him into my life, rather than Him being my life???? I have a lot of thoughts swirling around in my head after reading this book and hope that they will become more coherent in the coming days.

On a totally different note, I can also cross off Bill Bryson's African Diary from my list. I actually read this aloud to Cale as we drove on Tuesday. It was good, but too short to be satisfying for me. It also brought back lots of memories from our time in Namibia and I hope to write about some of that stuff soon. I don't know much about the organization he was with, but from what Bryson highlights about CARE they seem to be fighting poverty in practical and sustainable ways.

I also started A Mother's Heart and that too is challenging me and my small vision as a mom. I've only read a few chapters thus far, but already have been convicted in some of my attitudes and thoughts and the way I view myself a stay-at-home mom. There will definitely be more to write about as I work through this book.

Okay, that's all the reading updates I've got for now. Haven's asleep so guess what I am going to go do?!

No comments: